From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 13 November 2006 23:37
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: need some capacitor help

At 02:57 PM 11/13/2006, you wrote:
>Original poster: russell dischar <hightechredneck2005@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>thanks for the help so far
>it is a 30 ma 9000v nst. I currently have a static gap with seven
>pieces of 3/4 copper pipe they are set about .1 inches apart.

That's a fine gap.  And it's adjustable too, by just shorting out a
few of the gaps.  A small muffin fan blowing through the pipes will
greatly improve the performance.

>what would be a good total gap length for me?

Whatever the transformer will just fire at full output, without any
other stuff hooked up.

>  i also just got in 20 20kv 1000pf ceramic disc capacitors. could
> these be be used for my coil.

You can try them, but most ceramic disc capacitors can't take the RF
current.  Transmitting doorknobs are a bit better (but pricey if bought
new).

The preferred capacitor is a series string of 0.15 uF 2000V
polypropylene capacitors of the appropriate type (not all PP caps are
the same).  Google for "tesla mmc", or someone will nodoubt post a
link to a MMC calculator.

The caps will cost you about $2-$3 each from a variety of
sources.  10 of them in series would be 0.015 uF and be VERY
conservatively rated for your application (20kV nameplate rating, in
reality, they'll work at more)