Re: PIRANHA - New Top Load Configuration

Hi Terry,

Those dragons "deserve" that nice looking secondary (wink, wink)! Really, it looks fantastic! A work of art. I like the colors chosen as well on the top of the primary and top of the secondary. It gives a nice contrast for the whole coil. The dragon corona is really cool. I bet that wasn't expected. I guess that's nature congratulating you on a job well done!

Oh, I was thinking about the toploads. You could always add a bit more art to the toploads to include a breakout if needed. I'm not sure what. I'll leave that up to you. I have no doubt there's something you'll come up with. After all, the dragons below, hmm, what would work above? Of course, that 2nd MOT is always an option, isn't it?

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi,

I got the secondary pretty coated now :-)

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/PIRANHA-total-01.JPG

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/PIRANHA-total-02.JPG

The EnviroTex stuff did a great job even though I did not "baby" it at all ;-))

Remember the dragons:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Dragons.JPG

If there is no breakout point, they corona glow off their wings real cool!!

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/PIRANHA-DragonsGlowing.JPG

Best digital picture I could take...

I am not sure if the 8 inch balls are "too big" yet... I can pump a full 300kV into them and they don't even try to break out... But when they do, I am sure it will be "spectacular" +:D I sort of think 6 inch balls might be a better choice for similar ~1kW coils... I will start removing the shorting jumpers in the SISG sections next to pump up the power far greater ;-)))

Cheers,

        Terry

The PIRANHA coil is finally going ;-))

For primary tuning, I set up the signal generator to frequency sweep from 100kHz to 110kHz.

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Tuning.JPG

This gave me a nice graph to show the primary frequency:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/tuning.gif

One "nice cable position" gave me 102.5kHz with is close enough  :-)

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/PIRANHA-Const-012.JPG

I then bolted it all together to finish it up (still need to poly coat the secondary coil):

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Complete-1.JPG

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Complete-2.JPG

Here it is doing 25 inch arcs at 1/2 power:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Firing.JPG

I can't run full power indoors. I loose about 10% in spark length due to the hidden primary (lower coupling) but it wants to arc "too far" already :-D

So it turned out real good!!

Cheers,

   Terry