From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 11:05 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Possible Sale CD .15 caps - new, inductance ?

Original poster: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

For a SGTC where large Lp and low coupling coefficients are the norm,
the inductance added from the MMC is small.  Each cap has an ESL of
around 30nH if i remember.  Lets call it 60nH with the leads.  You
would then be looking at about 1.32uH (from 1 string).  BUT, you have
18 parallel strings.  Provided they were completely isolated (no
coupling/mutual inductance) you would get 1.32uH/18.  But since the
strings will be close to eachother, you will only get a slight
reduction in inductance.  It should be noted that the 1.32uH is
assuming the "loop back" from one end of the string to the other
contains zero area... unlikely in practice.  Bottom line is, your MMC
shouldnt exhibit more than a few uH of inductance, which should be
fairly small compared to the primary, which is many 10's of uH
(probably 50-100uH for a large coil).  The effects of this stray
inductance can be offset by increasing the coupling of the primary and
secondary coils, probably a very small increase in K would be
necessary.

As to the soldering iron.  Provided you use a decent iron, a single
tip should last you.  My $40 weller station had the same tip for
~2years of frequent use.  Anyway, i know what you meant ;-).

Steve