Re: New though on inductance

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Hello Again,
Every time I post here I got a new idea! The butt splices are 1.5 cm long (bare tinned) (~1/2 ?). What if I cut all the leads to .75cm and crimp and solder them in 22x strings attached to a sizeable buss. That would be 20 straight splices x 1.5 cm = 30 cm straight, thats about 12?. Imagine all the inductance and extra length the other cooler way? someone pop this bubble. It seems to be an improvement. The strings will be fairly rigid. Hmm, there would be room to push the resistor end in the butt splice (cut to length) as well so everything is held well and the temp extreme near the cap?s ends will only be applied once. Comments from our inductor savvy group components? Or will I decommission 300 caps via this method?
As Always Thanks,
Jim Mora

Hi Jim,

Not to worry - the added inductance simply behaves like a bit of "off axis" inductance in the primary circuit. It's effect (above adding a small amount of primary "loop" inductance) is merely to slightly reduce your system's Primary:Secondary coupling coefficient. Added lead resistance will also reduce your primary Q a bit, but this effect will be in the noise level when compared to losses in your spark gap.

Best regards,

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured