Re: Atomic Laboratories 71869 Tesla Coil

Original poster: Stan <wsmg@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey Pete,
I assumed(bad thing) your coil was one of those little coned ones and thought 2" to 3" streamers was doing pretty good. Seeing what you actually have is a different story. When you open your spark gap your risking frying the transformer(no Terry filter or safety gap), secondary(arcing from primary breaking down the secondary insulation), and more capacitors(as you found out). Like Matt said you could modify it but how far do you go. It looks like you have room in the case for a mmc bank and you could unwind some off the bottom of the secondary and you could mount a primary on top of the case and add a safety gap. It would be a good class project. What are the actual dimensions of the secondary? I see a tag on the tranny, does it give a voltage and current? Another note, you may have already broke down the insulation on your primary. You could try winding a primary with a little more gap between the secondary and a higher voltage cap and add a safety gap.

Hope this is alittle more help then my original reply,
Stan

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Peter Birk" <birk@xxxxxxx>

Not sure about amperage.  Using a variactor and multiplying the output I
estimate the tranformer puts out 7 or 8 KV.

Grounding is still not settled.  There was a problem with shocks and sparks
from the metal case.  I found this defective capacitor and parallel
resistors connecting the bottom of the coil to the metal case.  This in turn
was connected to the ground wire on the power cord.  I disconnected the
capacitor and tried running the bottom of the coil to an earth (water pipe)
ground.  Also tried connecting both the coil and the case to the water pipe
ground.  Never could get the case where it could be touched comfortably.
I'm beginning to think it just can't be done to due induction effects and
limitations of water pipe grounding.  I'm planning to connect the bottom of
the coil to a jack on the case and provide 'em with a cable to clip it to a
ground.  The metal case has to stay connected to the power ground for
safety.  There doesn't seem to be any problem using a power strip with a
switch to switch it on and off to avoid touching the case.

Pete