Re: Good IGBT List?

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Another mistake experimenters make, in being economically frugal, it to buy their semiconductors off E-Bay or from a surplus house. Many of these are factory "seconds" that do not meet the normal manufacturer's standards. Sometimes it's only cosmetic, but other times it has flaws which will cause electrical failure.

I've seen people degrade manufacturers for bad products when they have purchased "seconds" that failed.

Also, most Tesla experimenters are operating the IGBTs at or above their rated values. This also can cause premature failure of the semiconductor.

If you are on a tight budget you must be willing to accept occassional failures.

Dr. Resonance

I would have to agree with Steve here. The only way you get to reduce the number of failed semi's is through a better understanding of how they work. Search the manufacturer's websites for application notes, and detailed datasheets.

Having blown up many single IGBT modules worth upwards of $2000 each in my research, I have learned the hard way that the manufacturers do not necessarily know everything either however.