Atomic Laboratories 71869 Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Peter Birk" <birk@xxxxxxx>

Thanks to Terry, Dave and others for helpful suggestions on repairing this
high school's Tesla coil. (See pictures
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PeterBirk/ and
http://www.pupman.com/current/pbirk ).

I decided to get rid of the network at the bottom of the secondary and run
it to a banana jack on the case.  I made a cable to plug into the jack that
can clip to a water pipe or other ground.

I also found a replacement for the Aerovox mica capacitor.  It seemed to
test OK at .01 MFD but there was a lot of green corrosion on one terminal
suggesting some sort of leak. Though Aerovox and Cornell-Dublier don't make
them anymore I found the exact replacement (even the same part number!) at
http://www.commercialradiocompany.com

While it was apart I tried to measure the resonant frequncies with a scope
and signal generator.  The primary dips at 217 kHz.  The secondary dipped at
245 kHz.  I found the top ball was not electrically connected.  With that
connected the secondary dips at 236 kHz.  I wonder if anyone has any idea of
how to tune this coil.  Note the primary is encased in rubbery compound.

Thanks

Pete from Virginia