To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 8:06 PM
Subject: Re: (Fwd) bleeder resistors used with MMC

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Better to use Allied Electronics pulse rated resistors --- 3.5 kV working
voltage.  Only 55 cents each.

Although, I have never used any bleeder resistors in my AC NST powered
coils --- and have not found any holding a charge --- at least not in the
past 6 years!

Dr. Resonance

My first thought was : What is Bill doing making such a small coil? Is it
a toy one for Xmas.  Perhaps the Griffith Observatory (which you are doing
if I recall) needs one for a small room like a toilet or broom cupboard?

Resistors for MMC have been debated many times. Some people don't use any.
Most use a single 1/2 watt 10M resistor per cap. This has always worried
me as it is way overvolting the resistors rating of perhaps 500 - 800 V
but in this pulse application they don't seem to fail.  Terry uses 4.7M x
2 per cap.  I use 3.3M x 3 per cap.  I don't think it has been proven who
is right.  My guess is it depends on the application. For home use they
are probably not required for a small coil. For a reliable larger museum
coil you need to minimise failure modes, so use 3 or more.

Peter
http://tesladownunder.com