Re: tesla coil (I have one working, kind of)

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

The monitor power supply is capable of providing a max of 1 mA of capacitor charging current --- not really enough to do a proper job. If you can get a good used neon sign transformer from a local neon shop your coil will work much better. Coil system caps love current --- even 9 kV is ok if you can get 30 or 60 mA you system will perform well. Terry has info in the archives you can read on coil tuning.

Dr. Resonance

35kv supply from a CGA monitor...

HV lead disconnected from the tube, connected
to one half of spark gap

tube ?grounding? connected to the other half of the
spark gap.

power it up (from about 20 feet away... I dont want
to die)

The spark gap oscillates at somewhere around
15hz, very little change occurs by widening or
lessening the gap.

We put a copper rod on the end of an 8 foot wood
pole, and got it next to the "toroid" on top.  We get
1 to 2" thin blue sparks.

I'm looking for the following information:

1)how to construct a GOOD power supply with
TV, monitor, or microwave parts

2)how to accurately measure and tune both primary
and secondary coils.

Rich