RE: SISG PC BOARDS

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Gerry:

Good question.  Maybe you can help me here.  My trace calculations are
based on pure DC and I do not know how to correct for the high
frequency.  What I did is come close to the cross-sectional area of the
CDE942 leads so on that basis of that I should be able to push 500 amps.

Now here is what I tried with math.  See if you think I'm on the right
track.

Based on simple DC trace calculations I have:

24 amps give a 10 Deg C rise.
38 amps a 38 Deg C rise.

The above values are based on dual(top and bottom) 125 mil traces in 3
oz copper.

Now at 460 BPS I have 2130 uS "off-time" (cap charging time) and 43 uS
"on-time" for ring-up and ring-down with my RSG(Note - Terry's testing
suggests the "on-time" might dramatically increase).  So maybe we can
compute the average current during the whole break cycle to consider the
thermal effect.

If we have 500 amps during the "on-time" and near zero during the
"off-time" then the average current is 43/2173*500 = 10 amps avg
current.

Subsequent to my board design, Terry found the "on-time" might jump to
150uS.  If we use that measure then 150/2173*500 = 35 amps avg current.

Critique of this calc would be much appreciated.

Mark

>Original poster: "Gerry  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Hi Mark,

>How much current do you estimate the traces (high current path) on
>your layout can take??

Gerry R.