Re: Frequency Splitting

I cringe when I see the words "frequency splitting", and I will tell
you why.

We could take two identical tank circuits and couple them. We will
still get a beat frequency.

Ah , but what about "frequency splitting?"

Be realistic, they are identical tank circuits. One tank could not
possibly operate at a different frequency then the other. There is
no "splitting"."

With two identically-tuned circuits, before the spark gap quenches there will certainly be two frequencies present, with separation determined by the degree of coupling. Is that "frequency splitting"? All a matter of definition I guess. Of course, when the gap opens the secondary will ring with the fundamental resonant frequency.

Ed