Re: Power Factor Correction

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Use RF hash chokes across the NST pri between the xmfr and the Terry filter to delete the RF spikes. Iron core, 2 inch ID PVC tube, 70 turns #12 AWG on both hot and neutral legs.

Dr. Resonance

Hi Dennis,

I'm using 80 uf per 15/30 so I would try 160 uf. The last time I measured the PF, I think, it was very close to 1.0 with PFC. I suspect that you had a bad cap or the voltage rating maybe too small. My caps are rated for 370 Vac (rms) and I use them on 120Vac line. The NST load shouldn't effect the reliability of the PFC caps unless perhaps there is excessive RF coming thru the NST.

Gerry R.

Original poster: otmaskin5@xxxxxxx
Smoked my PFC cap last night. Not sure if I had the righty my for my coil, but it seemed to be working OK, until last night. Then bang, sizzle, etc.

Could someone suggest the correct value for motor run caps on a 15/60 coil with a 0.03uF tank cap?

Also if any of you have the right PFC caps laying around that you'd like to sell, I'd be glad to take them off your hands.

Dennis Hopkinton, MA