Re: Tesla Coil Questions (MOT Stack, Rotary, etc)

Hi Aaron,

At 02:50 PM 5/8/2006, you wrote:
Thanks Terry! We'll have to get together sometime. Do you have anymore MMC caps for sale in case I need some more for the MOT stack?

Probably not enough. I think I have like 20 but I got projects coming I will need them for.

Thats the thing, I couldn't remember what caps I had hooked up where and when! I'll try the 6 in series string this weekend with the NST and try it.

Other guys, with regards to the MOT stack, what kind of streamers can I expect out of this 4 MOT stack? What capacitors should I be looking at? What is a good, cheap way to limit current draw from the wall, not that it will be a big deal since it is on a big welding outlet, but it would be nice to be able to control it and power it up gradually instead of shocking the system with all that energy.

Will a 1/3 hp motor work for a rotary? Does someone have a tutorial on making the motors syncronous? I know it involves grinding flats, but where exactly and how long, etc?

See this:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Misc/STROBE.ZIP

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Misc/sync_motor.txt

Gerry is in Fort Collins too and is also making a rotary gap.

Thanks

Cheers,

        Terry