Re: Racing Sparks

Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>

I strongly suspect that with solenoid primaries, having a lot of space
between winds diminishes the coupling. The winds of a coarsly pitched
solenoid primary are no longer at right angles to the magnetic feild
of the secondary, so the coupling drops. So if anyone is modeling the
behavior of coupling, they might want to consider this.

We made a few coils way back that had what we thought was very tight
coupling. But the primary pitch was a couple of inches between turns.
Suprisingly we did not get racing sparks, but we did get some
flashover.

 Sincerely: Jared Dwarshuis