Re: Recent s.s.t.c. work

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

BNJ (& all)-

Thanks kindly for your comments. The drive from the transformer to the TCH-DRVR circuit is about 27V peak. Perhaps you overlooked D7, which couples negative-going drive to the Q2/Q3 bases. And since the drive (whatever its level) not only drives Q2 & Q3 but at the same time charges the +/- supply capacitors thru D1 & D2, ipso facto it swings over the full range (less the D1/D2 drops) of the + and - supplies.

I'll be better able to gauge the drive capability of the transformer (& its driver) when I'll be able to crank up the h.v. Then I'll be driving the IGBTs' Miller capacitances. From what I can tell so far, it will be sufficient--tho Murphy's Law says "no way", of course. I drive the 3" o.d. ferrite toroid transformer differentially with two D44H8/D45H8 pairs so I think that's a pretty husky source for the 4 IGBT circuits. And those two transistor pairs--and the transformer--do not, of course, need to provide the peak currents to the IGBT gates; those currents come from the C1/C2 capacitors in the 4 TCH-DRVR circuits.

You're right to question the Vcc capabilities of Q2 & Q3; perhaps they're a bit close at ~54V applied. But the CNY17-3 is rated at 70V breakdown, c-e. The bipolars should run at least for a while, until when & if I fix the major problems!

You mentioned in passing my use of the opto-coupler. Its LED:transistor breakdown is, of course, way in excess of what I see. And it is used, as I had noted, not to pass signal per se but only to gate on, for the duration of the spark event, the signal that passes thru D6 & Q1. That feature seems to work nicely.

As I've just posted, my current baffling problem remains overheating of Q2, D8 and R6.

KCH

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "BNJ" <mailto:firebee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx><firebee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>From a quick perusal of your schematic, I suggest you may have some
fundamental architectural and device issues if the actual hardware conforms
with the circuit diagram. While the points below don't directly answer your
questions, they are issues that need to be sorted before you go any further
and are probably significant contributors to your observed hardware
behaviour.

First: Q2/Q3 are an emitter follower pair and need their bases to be driven
with an input that swings substantially across the full range of required
IGBT gate swing (neglecting Q2/Q3 base emitter drops). While Q1 will
actively pull the drive to Q2/Q3 high, there is nothing to actively pull it
low shown in your schematic other than R4/R5 and this will be relatively
slow given their values. Hence Q2/Q3 would spend undesirable time in a
quasi-linear state in a high to low transition. Not good !

Second: give some more thought to the drive level required for Q2/Q3. They
will be driving short duration high current pulses into/out of the IGBT
gate, possibly 10's of amps peak, given your driver supply levels and the
value of R6 and the IGBT internal gate resistance. The current gain of the
D44H8 and D45H8 can be as low as 40 with a collector current of only 4A (and
will be even less with higher collector current). The drive to Q2/Q3 needs
to be something that is fast, can swing nearly the full +/-supply range and
can drive short term peak currents of amps into/out of Q2/Q3 bases
respectively. This is one of the challenges in trying to use a bipolar
emitter follower complementary pair and why many of us go for MOSFETs
instead.

Third: The Vce Absolute max of Q2 and Q3 is 60V (from data sheets I looked
up). You are at that rating if you are driving with +/-30V supplies. That's
asking for trouble. The Vce max of Q1 is 30V and Vcb is 50V (from a data
sheet) and this also represents marginal design at best! I didn't look up
the specs on the CYN17-3 but it is worth checking as well. Depending on the
transistor models in your simulator, these device characteristics might not
be well modelled and giving you a less than a true view of actual circuit
behaviour.

I commend your efforts so far, including your attempt at using opto couplers
as an isolation method. I have two variants of brick drivers designs, one
using complementary MOSFETs and gate drive transformers and another using
high speed optocouplers and complementary MOSFETs, although the latter is
substantially more complex than your present design approach.

Regards

BNJ