Dwell time, etc

Original poster: "MakingLightning" <MakingLightning@xxxxxxxxxxx>

What is dwell time and how does it affect your coil?

I always thought that nice big electrodes on a spark gap was a good thing,
but was recently told that it would increase your dwell time.

I just wound an 8" coil
and am planning on using 2 big 0.1 uf 90kv (20kv working voltage) custom
made Condenser Product caps in series (I bought them about 12 years ago when
they actually sold things like that to us, then went through a divorce and
am finally getting around to using them, they were about $1000 apiece
then!),
a 5kva 14.4kv pole pig,

and was planning on making a 12" rotary gap with 8 - 1/2" electrodes and 4 -
9/16" stationary electrodes in series (better for quenching?).

I have a 60a 240v variac and a 200a welder for controlling the power.

Anyone have an idea of what length of sparks I should expect from this
setup? (free air and to a ground rod)

Any other comments that you guys have on this setup would be greatly
appreciated.

Kevin