Re: 833A's plate color

Original poster: Shad <shenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

I need to disagree here a little bit.

Some tubes, such as the 300Z, use a graphite plate and *must* show plate
color for the getter to act properly.  Most tubes that use a graphite
plate don't have a getter flashed in the tube.  Instead the getter is
applied to the plate, and the getter must be hot to work.   Not running
any plate color on a 300Z is one of the quickest ways to kill one, as it
is with almost any large graphite plate tube.  Graphite plate tubes also
tend to have a much higher thermal inertia than the thinner metal plate
tubes, making them more able to withstand short-term abuse as far as
plate dissipation goes.
  The 833C is just such a tube, as it has a graphite plate.

 I've pushed an RS1026 (300W p.diss graphite triode) to 4kW input for
3-5 second runs.  Graphite plate gets bright orange, but no harm to the
tube.  (Tank capacitor did fail though...)

I recommend the RCA TT-5 book, as it cover transmitting tubes up to 4kW,
and is a variable wealth of information on the care and feeding of
tubes.  There's usually copies floating around on eBay.