Re: High Power SRSGs

Original poster: DRIEBEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Gerry,

With my Green Monster coil, which is powered by a
15 kVA distribution "pole pig" transformer, I have
an ARSG with a 2 stationary and 8 flying electrodes
that form 2 gaps. This is placed in series with a
forced air cooled, RQ type of stationary SG which
consist of (4) 4" long x 2" diameter copper pipes
that form 3 gaps. O yea, the 2 stationary electrodes
of the rotary gap are each 1/2" diameter x 3" long tungsten
carbide drilling blanks and the 8 flying electrodes are
each 3/8" diameter x 2.5" long tungsten carbide drilling
blanks. I originally ran with the rotary gap alone,
without the RQ stationary gap in series. The main reason
that I added the RQ stationary gap was not due to the
tell-tale "ring of fire" sign of power arcing at the
rotary gap but because of the extreme heat that was
retained by the rotary gap electrodes immediately af-
ter shutdown. Of course, the coil was not fully tuned
in when I was running without the RQ stationary gap in
series either, so the excess heating of the rotary
stationary electrodes could have been due to the
poor tuning since more energy was being wasted in the
primary circuit instead of going to the output streamers.
I haven't tried running it without the seriesed RQ gap
since fine tuning it, yet. You can check out the coil
at www.dawntreader.net/hvgroup/david/gm.

David Rieben