Re: SSG's- a couple questions

Original poster: dest <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hallo.

self-quenching of rsg is just another "coilers" myth, otherwise you
wouldn`t see such things as "flaming rotary", "wheel of fire" and so
on, poor dreamer`s disaster : D
as regards the ssg - imo "coilers" just don`t "mastered" it enough,
that`s all.

"Here I had the rotary sitting still with what amounts to two gaps of
about 3/8th of an inch (happenstance roulette wheel luck) with a
vacuum cleaner blower forcing high speed air between the gaps through
nozzles as is now a common part of my rotary designs.  This is in
effect a two gap static quench gap!  The system was quenching just
fine at 8 KVA from an 18,000 volt RMS pole pig type transformer!"

"By far the most impressive demonstration was when he operated the twin
with the break turned off and a stationary contact spaced just .375" was
the sole break for the system. And the system seemed to operate at
nearly the same level if not the same level as with the rotary running
Almost unbelievable. It was a real hoot. Thanks Robert"

"On this subject: In 1964 Werner Heise, an engineer at the AEG High
Voltage  Institute in Kassel, Germany, built a huge 4 meter tall coil
that consumed well over 100,000 watts and could throw arcs over 7
meters in total length. I was surprised to learn that he used a simple
2 electrode static gap, with a supersonic blast of air directed across
it, in order to quench the arc. The gap is described only as "two
cylindrical electrodes with constant tips which may be changed with
regard to the distance from each other.  By means of a strong blast of
air blown diagonally across the arc, the number of ig- nitions per
unit time are increased".

> Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

>      While there are no hard and fast rules, most people go to rotary
> by the time they go over 5kW. One consideration is noise level.
> Increased power = increased noise and static gaps are the noisiest.
> Another is that rotaries are self-quenching and partially self-cooling.

-----
Let the bass kick! =:-D