Saturable Reactor, I have ordered one to test

Hello Group,

I struck a deal with the guy on ebay that has real saturable reactors rated
@ 10kVA. The transformer alone weighs 200 lbs. I is very much like a three
phase reactor with a very big center control winding. The two outer legs are
the controlled single phase. This is rated for 480 use but it looks like
there is two coils per leg so hopefully it can be wired for 220v use.

Someone had a theory that controlling the outer windings with the center
winding of a three phase transformer could not work along the lines that it
would in essence remove itself from the three phase transformer. This would
seem not to be the case. There are six more of these available. They are
brand new too.

Three phase transformers seem to be in abundance as well. I believe they
could be made to work nearly as well.

Take a look. ebay # 7573657637 I'll put it under a 10KVA load, vary it to
the extremes, and report back, I'll also monitor the waveform. Mots still
are cheaper but they don't come in a NEMA rated case, and I still contend
the lash up is inherently more dangerous.

Regards to all,
Jim Mora