Re: I'm a newbie coiler!- apartment coiling

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Ed,

I believe a common SG is an underlining assumption. The two primarys are wired in series. I do have a movie of a twin coil (its called Nick's twin) that showes the two secondaries going into and outof phase.

Gerry R.

Hi Steve,

I do believe that the primary keeps them in "proper" phase when sufficient energy is still in the primary. My question was addressing what happens once the primary quenches (should be at maximum energy in the secondary). I'm thinking that phase drifting begins at this moment in time if not before. I guess I'm assuming these two coils are side by side and not a bipolar coil. Even with a bipolar coil, if the center turn is grounded, I dont know if the magnetic coupling will keep them properly phased. Maybe Antonio can shed some lite on this.

Gerry R."

Tesla mentions that when two coils are tuned to different frequencies the nature of the spark between them can vary over wide limits; he doesn't mention whether they had a common primary circuit but I would think the same spark gap would be necessary so the discharges occurred at the same time. I've posted the quote here but don't have it handy at the moment. It would be make an interesting experiment to play with this.

Ed
   I would assume the same thing - single gap and primaries in series.
Unfortunately, he didn't say any more than this. The note intrigued me because we sometimes use a similar technique (add sine waves of different frequencies in series) in radar for making short pulses of migh power. From his description I think he must reallyi have done it and just wish there's been a sketch or better description.

Ed