RE: 24V (was apartment grounding)

At 11:12 AM 3/15/2006, you wrote:
Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

Jim

Well I thought having a 24v control system in my power control unit
would provide me a small level of protection.

It does.. and it gets the line voltage away from your hand, which is a good thing.

Just think about worst case scenarios though, too.. What if your switch shorts? What if the relay doesn't open? What if just one fuse opens? Run through all those possible "credible single faults" and make sure that something isn't unexpected.

My 24v deadman switch runs
the out put relay. The 120v line runs thru standard 20amp line filter,
type in a 3x3 metal box, it then goes thru the Variac, then the relay,
last thru 50amp line filters , 2.5 dia x 5" long. The 50 amp filters are
to RF ground. Both sides of the line going from the Variac are fused
also with neon indicator lights on the control panel that will light if
the fuse fails.