Re: apartment grounding (was: I'm a newbie coiler!- apartment coiling)

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

For a ground, connect your secondary base to a large aluminium sheet or a square sheet of fencing wire at least as wide as the coil is high. A Faraday cage is better though and can be very simple with much less RF. A Faraday cage can be connected to mains earth if desired but not essential.
This is one I made for the local Uni Physics Dept with a cage.
http://tesladownunder.com/Tesla%20display.htm#Tesla%20coil%20(Physics%20Dept)%202006

Peter
Tesladownunder

This doesn't answer the question on how to ground the mesh...

Since I won't be doing too much VERY powerful stuff in my apartment, I'll
most likely just use the mains ground. Most likely I'll power up the coil
(once it's done) somewhere else anyway. Without any experience, I'd like
to have more room the first time at least, and a buddy who knows CPR
around :)

Steve