To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 9:45 AM
Subject: RE: Mercury - topic drift

Original poster: "Dave Halliday" <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Actually, what you are probably seeing is water vapor and not Mercury.
(And yes, I know about the PDF file that touts the absorption spectrum
of water and claims that it is practically transparent at 254nm -- they
cherry picked the chart in that PDF.)

A properly made amalgam has no "free" Mercury. Another amalgam in common
use is Concrete.  One of the ingredients (slaked Lime) is horribly
caustic and will cause skin damage if not washed off completely.

People are using Concrete for kitchen countertops and eating off it.
Kids play on it outside.  You simply do not hear about skin irritation
with concrete. Concrete contains a toxic component but a properly made
amalgam will bind all ingredients together permanently.

Unfortunately, there is a very broad "grey zone" in health-care where
unsubstantiated claims can be made without fear of the FDA knocking on
your door.  The wonderful people at The International Academy of Oral
Medicine & Toxicology fit solidly into that grey zone.

We now return to the Topic...