RE: Three phase transformer arrived for saturation experimentation.

Original poster: "Philip Chalk" <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, 8 March 2006 11:08 am
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Three phase transformer arrived for saturation experimentation.

Hello Aaron, HV grp, and all:

Input:

There are three inner taps labeled 240v feels
like a 10 or 12 AWG gauge wire. On the outter
edge taps are (4) taps/winding these decrease
closely lower R ohm increments beginning at .9 ,
.8, .7,.4 ohms. This getting my Beckman.
Inductance respectfully: .193, .179, .166, .004
hmm. lablels respectively: +10v, 0, -10, 208v .

Hi Jim,

You probably realize, but the primary winding looks like this :-

	(Works for me in arial font)

 240v __E___		To Feed With:-      Connect to:-
		)
		)
		)  12.8%		10v rms ac	  A & B or B & C
		)
		)			20v		      A & C
 208v __D___)
    		)			32v		      D & E
		)
		)			198v		      C & D
		)
		)			208v		      B & D
		)
		)  79.2%		218v		      A & D
		)
		)			230v		      C & E
		)
		)			240v		      B & E
		)
 -10v __C___)			250v		      A & E
		)
		)  4%
   0v	__B___)
		)
		)  4%   <--- percentage of Total winding, from A to E.
 +10v __A___)

The "to feed with" bit is basically just to show the different voltages
you would expect to find on it, between pins, when fed the way it was
designed.

Let me make some assumptions the inner Hv winding
should be disconnected from neutral and connected
to the DC supply. This consists of a 35 amp 400
PVI Bdiode on a pIII heat sink. For starters I'll
use my 1256d since it is set up anyway. I am
considering using filtration of 400uf separated
by a 23 mh heavy choke 200UF out. Maybe that is
unneeded but there won't be any harmonics or
ripple as the current ramps up. I propose to use
the 240v outer windings to go to my pig, no
neutral. BTW the 208 winding seems heavier.hard to tell.

Ok: those that have suffered through this so far
and know the math, how much voltage/current do
you estimate it will take to Sat this iron? What
do I do with the input windings to the center
control core, and the output winding of the outer
controlled coils. Shorting em will heat things up
fast. Load them maybe? Suggestions are requested.
This may be easier with a three phase really
heavy duty filter choke. I see them on ebay in fact have a few smaller
ones.

My pig is grounded as will this transformer. I
have three 4500 watt hot water heaters for
starters. I won't go past 9KW, it would be pity
to smoke this perfect 883a transformer!

Thanks Much,
Jim Mora