Re: Three phase transformer arrived for saturation experimentation.

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jim, all,

A few thoughts on using a three phase transformer as a saturable reactor.

I don't think you can use the centre limb as the control winding, because having only a single winding, you can't cancel the induced AC. I think the only hook-up that will do anything is to use the 208V winding on the centre leg in series with the load, and the HV windings on the two outer legs as the control windings.

As for how much control current will be needed: I think amp-turns are conserved. So if you pass 1 amp through each of the 5kV HV windings in series, it would try to deliver about 1A*(5000*2/208)= 48A to the load, and since the rated HV output current is 1A, that would be a reasonable maximum rating for the thing as a saturable reactor.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/