Re: Saturable Reactor 3 phase reactor, heavy iron, not MOT

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm sure the shipping would be a killer!  Looks like
quite a prize, though.  I've kicked myself very often
lately over a 3kVA 10kV three-phase transformer I
*gave away* about a decade ago for lack of anything to
use it for.  Stupid, stupid, stupid... :(

So you are going to try using the three-phase
transformer for a saturable reactor?  If so, I shall
look forward to hearing the results!  If it works,
I'll be especially interested to hear whether better
results are achieved by using the center HV winding as
the control and the outer LV windings for the power,
or by using the outer HV windings in series for the
control and the center LV winding for the power.  It
may be that neither is especially better and that the
choice depends on the characteristics of the control
supply and the DC resistance of the HV windings.