Re: JAVATC vs WinTesla

Original poster: Gregory Morris <gbmorris@xxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Derek Woodroffe" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
    I use both JavaTc and Wintesla, out of the two JavaTc is MUCH more
accurate, but I fins Wintesla so much easier and quicker to use. So I do my
rough designs with Wintesla and get ball-park figures then use Wintesla for
more accurate information.

    Saying that I haven't had such a large discrepancy as you describe,
usually both programs agree to around a couple of percent.

    Which values were so far out ?

    Derek..

> Original poster: Gregory Morris <gbmorris@xxxxxxxxx>  >  > Hi, well I've
been attempting to design a new coil  > and was doing  > rather well, or so
I thought, as I checked my values  > with JAVATC  >
<http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html>,
 > until I tried
 > WinTesla
 > <http://www.hot-streamer.com/rscopper/dload5.html>,
 > which
 > gave me rather significant discrepancy (As much a  > 20-30% difference  >
on some values). My thought was that JAVATC seems to  > be newer and has  >
a higher awareness rate among coilers, therefore it  > would be more  >
reputable, but do any of you have suggestions or  > comments on this  >
phenomenon? I have tried re-entering values multiple  > times and I  > still
get the same results.

 > Thanks,
 > Greg

Specifically the most far-off value was the frequency for the Secondary circuit; WinTesla tells me it is around 362kHz, whereas JAVATC suggests a more conservative 246kHz. That is quite a difference. I have double and triple checked my inputs, yet these discrepancies persist. Curiously the Primary circuit, while still off somewhat (200kHz for W.T. vs. 232 kHz for J.T.C.) the values are much closer, and WinTesla suggests it is lower than JAVATC, rather than higher, unlike for the Secondary.

Thanks,
Greg