Re: design for new capacitor

Hi Dr.,

been there, done that, when a newbie coiler. See:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/pcb_cap.htm

...cannot recommend it without reserve: lots of work; not very long live, because of the corona problems (as mentioned by Gary Lau). An MMC is the much easier, more reliable way to go. If you really do it, never try the cap out without having it immersed in oil. If I'd have to do it again, I'd change and simplify the design a little. It might then become some more reliable too, if avoiding the beginner's mistakes. Can create and send you an off-list sketch, of what I mean, if you like.

Regards,
        Kurt "

Did I guess from the German language part that the board thickness was 1.55 mm? You seem to have gotten more capacitance per plate than I did with the same material so I'm going to have to find my original data and check it. (Written in pencil on one of the plates I tested.) Did you ever measure the dissipation factor at your operating frequency?

Ed