Re: how deep do the coilers prefer doing it? : )

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 3/1/06 10:42:38 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>ok, is there a simple way to measure actual motor torque
>_at full speed_ at home exist? i saw one in the book - just two brake
>blocks, lever and weight of known value, plus a bit of simple
>mathematics : ) the main problem was cooling of the brake blocks.

Simple method to measure motor torque? Mechanically couple the test motor to a generator. Measure the generator output (current=torque, DC voltage/AC freq/tach=rpm). From this you get horsepower. You have, of course, previously calibrated your generator... Or as I prefer, use a motor and a digital drive. The drive display will tell you how much oopmh it is driving the motor("generator" from the previous paragraph) with at what speed. Thus you will know how much oomph your test motor is producing to fight it.
    Just a dyno...
I think to do it strictly mechanically, it might be a lot easier and practical to use a pulley as a winch to lift a weight. No worry about "brake blocks" and levers. Torque is obvious, horsepower/RPM from how long it takes to lift the weight.

-Phil LaBudde