Re: Gluing polycarbonate?

Original poster: "Karl L." <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

The epoxy will give some strength, and a good dielectric seal. Of course nylon screws into threaded holes will give the best mechanical strength, and a method to clean or repair the inside of your polycarbonate form as well. I have found that if the toroid is balanced on the secondary, and the whole assembly is not subjected to overly excessive sideways movements, that gravity holds things together well enough.

On a related note, I believe it was a posting by Richard Hull in which he stated that RTV produced acetic acid while curing, and that was fairly conductive and should be avoided. He also stated that solvent welding the baffles was dangerous because of the trapped fumes, and if a spark were to be propagated inside the secondary, an explosion would ensue, destroying the secondary.

Karl