RE: 1256D Paralleling Choke

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys,

Yes, I am trying to get 56 amps by ganging these 1256's in parallel on a
240V 60 amp circuit. This setup is to drive my x-ray transformer for a
massive Jacobs ladder. I do have a factory dual-ganged set of 1256's in my
coil control panel and it came with the choke in a box mounted to the side
of the front variac. It has the outputs of both 1256's tied to it and the
output to the ballast and pig come from it. It's wired as shown on Scot's
page. I was basically wiring these other two 1256's like the factory dual
ganged set I have now.

Tonight my son wanted to see the Jacobs ladder so I just paralleled all the
connections to both variacs and tried it. I popped the fuse out of one of
them and compared the output voltages at different positions. The 1256B had
typically between 1 and 2 volts higher output than the 1256D. I went ahead
and ran the Jacobs ladder at about 70% for almost 10 minutes. My 1.2 ohm
5000W ballast resistors showed 380 degrees on my Raytech and were pretty
toasty. I monitored the temps of the windings in both variacs closely and
one was running around 82 degrees and the other was at 86 degrees. Certainly
nothing to worry about there.

I'm thinking I'll just run them in straight parallel as they are now and
just keep an eye on things. The output of the Jacobs ladder is very strong
at about 16 inches point to point and probably closer to 20 inches if you
count the bow of the arc.

Are there other symptoms of problems caused by running without the choke
besides heat I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Cameron