Windings vs. Diameter

Hi,

Just for the record...

The coil I just wound:

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/P6290127.JPG

is 11.50 long with #30 wire.  There are 985.00 turns on it via digital counter.

The wire is 0.0116 inches in diameter via a new Starrett 436 micrometer.

985 x 0.0116 = 11.426 inches. Pretty close ;-)) I pushed the wire with a finger nail all the way during the wind so it is tight and the wire torque was high. The wire is "cheap" and had a few rough spots I could feel as it was going out my fingers.

There is a "wiring percentage" number of 91% for this wire that seems all wrong...

If you can measure the wire diameter really well and wind it tight and forced, the "wire diameter x turns" seems to work out just fine... Thin wire like this forces more easily than thicker...

Cheers,

	Terry