From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:00 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 1256D Paralleling Choke

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>

hmmm   you are right  ( not a stickler for details)  but here it
goes...  my system uses 2 @ 7.5 A variac cores stripped of the original
wire...
core size is 4" od with a 1.5" id and 4" tall  wound with # 8 THHN
solid copper 10 turns each side

but in my setup I am paralelling 2 variacs per leg of the 240VAC    (
4 variacs stacked 2 per leg therefore 2 chokes)

for a total of 280VAC at 56 or so amps    ( I have pushed it to 60
amps for several minutes with minimal warming)

in the "laser mode setup" it has run for 45 minutes pulling near 60A
at full voltage output ( usually blow the fuse on the variac after 45
minutes or things get rather toasty)   and BTW  NEVER replace a fuse
with a 3/8 bolt    it leads to a blown fuse and the other variac
taking the full 60A load along with toasted brushes....

voltage differences between variacs run approimately 2%    (about 3-4
volts tween legs)

hope this cleared things up...

Scot D