To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2006 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: the back of secondary winding

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

The idea is to securely hold the windings in place while at the same time help seal the coil from any molecular atmospheric moisture adhesion --- a big problem with PVC tubes as it rears it's ugly head especially with VDGRF generators which will not tolerate tracking/leakage values above 5 uA without serious performance degradation.

Molecular level moisture adhesion can become a serious problem especially at RF frequencies. Another serious problem most people ignore is the handling of wound coils. They handle them with their bare skin which contains a lot of oils rich with sodium compounds --- a very good conductor. Hand salt on any coil is really not the very best condition. Most coils will survive but some will fail.

Don't wind a sec coil dripping wet with varnish. Allow the two coats to throughly dry prior to winding.

Dr. Resonance

While anecdotal accounts vary, I'm not sure it's ever been demonstrated
that a coated coil will be insulation-wise more robust than a bare coil.
In a close-wound coil, since the space between turns is zero, you can't
gain anything beyond the enamel insulation.  Mostly the coating serves
to keep the wire turns from shifting on the form, and it looks nice and
probably offers some degree of abrasion resistance.

Trying to wind a secondary dripping-wet with varnish sounds like a
ticket to mess and frustration!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA