Re: Commercial SSTC

Original poster: "Gav D" <gdingley@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
by safe waveform I think he means the break-rate is high, so your
nerves (heart?) do not react to it. In a traditional static spark-gap
coil there is an inherent 100/120Hz signal modulated onto the
waveform. Of course if you use half-wave rectification on the SSTC,
this low frequency signal will still be present. As he is using an
SCR, this low frequency signal will in fact be present.

I can't see the point, I have thought of selling SSTCs, but the people
who want them tend to be the people who want to build them! Anyway, if
you are competent enough to build a coil of any sort, you are
competent enough to own one - usually.

Still, if it is as reliable as he says, then good luck to him.

Gavin

Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Coilers,

I ran across a website of a company that manufactures and sells SSTCs.  See
http://www.teslacoil.net/images/SSTC-3-disWEBBuy.htm .  According to the
description and photos, it uses 4 IGBTs in an H-bridge, with power to it
controlled by an SCR, runs a max of 240 volts on the
primary, produces about 36 inch leaders, and apparently is not a DRSSTC.  It
produces "safer waveforms"--anyone know what that means?  Does anyone have
any details on its circuit, theory of operation, etc.?  It
sells for about $500 and includes a lifetime repair warranty (a gutsy thing
to do in my opinion).

On the negative side, there are pictures of the leaders from the SSTC-3
jumping to someone's hand and arm, and claiming that it produces much milder
unpleasant reactions than does a DRSSTC or SGTC.  Even though he says one
should not perform that experiment themselves, pictures speak louder than
words and may lead others to try it with unfortunate results.  DON'T DO
THAT!

Anyway, if you know something about this particular SSTC, please share it
with the rest of us.

Thanks,
--Steve Y.