Re: Power factor correction

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I killed a PC power supply (not the whole PC,
fortunately!) running my 25kVA pig as a Jacob's
ladder, sans line filter.  I was doing about 15kVA at
the time, IIRC.  Since getting a large 75A line
filter, I have observed that the spiking is suppressed
substantially, though.  Whenever the arc reached the
top of the ladder and broke, I'd get a 600V (peak)
spike.  Nasty!!!  I was ballasting with a water
resistor at the time.  Not sure, but inductive
ballasting seems likely to make the problem worse.  I
did not notice any significant reduction in the spikes
when I used my smaller 15kVA pig, either.

The reason I'd call really big spikes like this
"worse" than RF from a TC is that, to me, they seem
more apt to compromise the insulation in your house
wiring, setting the stage for badness like fires, and
other things that would be really difficult and
expensive to diagnose and fix.  Others may have had
really bad experience with RF from TCs...I guess I
*should* have said this:  Big Jacob's ladders are
quite able to fry stuff in your house, just like TCs
with no filter.  They're not "safe" in any way (to you
*OR* your supply).  A lot of people wire up big
Jacob's ladders on a whim.  I was one.  For posterity:
 I recommend a bit more caution these days :-)

Regards
Aaron, N7OE