What do I do ?

Original poster: "Rich & DJ" <rdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am trying to get a transformer and ballast set up with just a spark gap for now. It is multi gap copper tube set up, 8 tubes total, 5 tubes in use @ .050 each .200 gap. The first ballast try was with a roll of 12 ga w/steel core and a NST transformer core with just the primary, when I ramped up the supply voltage it would barely fire when I got up to 95% on the voltage at the transformer input. I added 7 turns of 10ga for a secondary on the NST core, now I get good sparks at 60% voltage.
Can any one tell me why ?
I am using the roll of wire and NST core to limit my transformer to 1.95Kva max. It is all trial and error at this end , should I add more turns on the NST secondary until I get null spot. I am getting actual 8 amp at the input of the transformer at 140v , max s/b 8 amp at 240v.
I have a volt and amp meter at the transformer input.
I think I would be better off with more volts and less amps or ????.

Rich , from the middle of Missouri