RE: Power factor correction

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

(gettin' a bit OT here, but...)

Jacob's ladders are mostly about current, not voltage.
 You need current to generate plasma/heat, and heat to
make the plasma/arc rise.  More current will permit
the arc to "stretch" longer.  If you have mega-high
voltage but virtually no current, then the legs of
your Jacob's ladder will be far apart and nearly
parallel, since there will be little "stretching"
involved, and this in turn will probably yield
inconsistent performance (arc frequently giving up and
restarting at the bottom before it reaches the top,
etc.)

NSTs make ok Jacob's ladders.  A 15/30 can produce an
arc that self-starts at under an inch but may stretch
to a couple of inches before breaking and restarting
at the bottom of the ladder.  Fun, easy to build, and
(relatively) safe.  Still, the lack of current in the
NST case can make ladder peformance inconsistent, and
placing the ladder in some kind of enclosure may be
necessary to allow convection (and thereby the arc) to
be more consistent.

A typical 14.4kV pig is about like a 15/30 for
voltage, but can deliver several amps!  This has an
enormous influence on ladder performance; the arc can
easily be made to stretch to a foot or more!  Here's a
picture of what that might look like (from some
Googling--not sure whose this is, really):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tesla1000/page3/

The picture has "15kVA" above it, and "14,400 volts, 2
amps" below it, which doesn't quite add up!!  The
latter would be about 30kVA, not 15kVA, but
whatever...  Note, too, that the arc is a totally
opaque white flame.  There is a big difference between
a Jacob's ladder running ~15kV at 30ma and 2A!!!

BUT (!!!): Beware the Voltage Spikes of Doom!  Running
big Jacob's ladders is a good way to kill stuff in
your house just as surely as a lot of RF from a TC,
maybe worse!  Put some caps across the LV side of the
tranny to eat these up or you could really have a mess
on your hands.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE