Re: Foam toroid?

Original poster: Ben McMillen <spoonman534@xxxxxxxxx>

I'll have to stop in and ask him the next time I'm out that way..

I believe he buys it by the gallon.. at leas the main part of the chemical.. the 'activator' I believe comes in a smaller bottle..

I'll also ask him what he uses for a mold.. I think it's some kind of fiberglass or plastic, but I'm not sure..

I was thinking the stuff in cans might work, but the chemical gives you a little bit of time before it begins to expand.. probably enough to get two mold halves put together and secured.. the can stuff seems to expand right away and I don't know how well it would fill a mold with minimal air gaps.. better be quick with the cans I guess.. ;)

Coiling In Pittsburgh
- Ben McMillen

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: Ed Phillips

Original poster: Ben McMillen

My uncle is a taxidermist and he uses a 2 part foam to make forms for
his mounts. The foam is mixed from two chemicals which react and
expand rather quickly. The density of the foam is determined by how
well it is contained in the mold. If one were to create a torroid
type mold, you could probably mold one pretty easily. Any surface
defects could be remedied using a slow turning lathe setup and some
sandpaper or home made turning tool..

Then you've got your foam torroid ready for coating..

Just my 2 cents..

;)

Coiling In Pittsburgh
- Ben McMillen"

What does that stuff cost [per cubic inch or foot of foam]?

Ed