Re: exploding wire

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Why do you need a low inductance to explode wire? Here I use the huge inductance of a 3kV winding of a 10KVA transformer in series and it still explodes uniformly although with a lot less shock and flash than a straight through shot. It may well be acting as a charging reactor to boost the voltage when the wire starts to disintegrate and separate allowing arcing to be maintained.
 http://tesladownunder.com/Pulse_Power.htm#Exploding%20wires
Peter

Original poster: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>
Even though my new bank has 18kJ of total energy, it's only 10kV and
the capacitors, while also low-inductance pulse caps, are more like
the Aerovox and Maxwell caps most other amateurs are using today -
low inductance, but not ultra-low inductance.  As a result, I wonder
whether I'll be able to achieve as fast rise times as I did with the
old bank......
 - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux