Re: RF secondary grounds (was: exploding wire)

Original poster: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>

On Jun 14, 2006, at 10:17 PM, Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

How much of a difference in performance does using an RF secondary
ground make?
Can using a crappy ground, verses a great ground, affect voltage
output dramatically?

I once did a series of experiments with two coils - a 500 watt
tabletop coil, and a
12kW 8 foot tall coil.

to the best of my recollection (this was about ten years ago), I tried:

* a long 10 gauge wire grounded to a building ground rod about twenty
feet away

* a "capacitance plate" under the coil of about 4 square feet, with
the theory
that it would provide almost no ground at 60Hz, but would couple to
the earth
well at the operating frequencies of the coils

* a single 4 ft. ground rod

* four 4 ft. ground rods

* the 4 ft. ground rods together with the "capacitance plate"

We saw no difference in performance with the same settings on each
coil on each run.

 - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux