Re: MOT Primary Current Question

Hi Steve,

Saturation of the core is determined by the volts per turn on the primary, the primary frequency, the area of the core, and the magnetic material.

Volts/turn = dphi/dt

Given frequency, you can calculate the peak flux (phi) from the above. Flux density (B) will be peak_flux/area and it is flux density that causes a ferromagnetic material to saturate (level of which is a property of the material).

Gerry R.

Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

My question, which I asked years ago and never got an answer, is this:
Suppose your MOT at 120 VAC applied draws 5 amps with no load.  Then suppose
a load is applied, and the total primary current goes up to 10 amps, for
example.  Does a load on the secondary have any effect on core saturation
for a constant primary voltage?  In other words, would less power be wasted
in the core so that more power ends up in the secondary supplying power to a
load?

Thanks,
--Steve