DRSSTC Tuning Study (initial data)

Original poster: <dhmccauley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I?m presently performing a detailed analysis of the tuning characteristics of a DRSSTC system. I?m still in the early phases of this particular task, but have come up with some initial data of Primary Current and DC Bus Voltage vs. Arc Length for various tuning points in a DRSSTC system.

This data was collected at 9 separate tuning points (1/4 turn increments) on the primary coil of a small DRSSTC system. A strike target was placed beginning at 0.25? and increased in two inch increments up to the maximum arc the system was capable of. For this particular system, 32? was the maximum arc, and was limited by either the active current limiting circuit which was set to about 550A and/or secondary-to-primary arcing at which time the experiment was ceased.

Natural Frequency of Secondary with 13? x 4? toroid = 198kHz (Measured)
Coupling:  Approx. 0.18 (estimated)

Primary Tuning Range (9.2uH to 5.3uH)
Natural Frequency of Primary Circuit (w/ 0.108uF MMC) (Measured)
9.2uH = 160kHz
7.9uH = 173kHz
7.7uH = 175kHz
7.2uH (I) = 180kHz
7.2uH (II) = 180kHz
6.2uH = 196kHz
5.8uH = 200kHz
5.6uH = 205kHz
5.3uH = 210kHz

Please note, there are two 7.2uH, but they are actually ¼ turn from one another. There was some fluctuation do to wire length / positioning of the connection wires which attributed to this. These inductance value were measured exactly how the wires would connect to the full-bridge.

Initial Data:

Peak Primary Current vs. Arc Length
<http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/tuningstudy01.jpg>http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/tuningstudy01.jpg

DC Bus Voltage vs. Arc Length