Re: SISG Test Procedure

Original poster: "Sean Taylor" <sstaylor@xxxxxxxxx>

Mark,

Do you have any other form of HVDC supply?  If you have something of
suitable voltage (even if it's a small current), use that with a
resistor in series to limit the charge rate of the tank cap.  If you
can float the primary tank circuit, a 15/30 NST with many 1N4007s
would work, or since you're using MOTs, you undoubtedly have a few MO
diodes laying around.

If you need a HV resistor, I'm sure some list member
(<cough>Terry<cough>) has at least one.  I have a few that I could
send you, but they're not really accessible right now.  Anyway, I used
a similar setup on a spark gap coil of mine to measure the ringing on
single shots at around 20 second intervals.

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Paul:

The SISG is triggered when the sidacs fire at the threshold voltage of
the sidac series.
The switch would need to be 12 KV or more and would need to turn off and
delay each after each bang.  Adds the complexity of DRSSTC to the
otherwise elegantly simple SISG design unless I am missing something.

Mark

 >Original poster: "Paul Benham" <paulb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 >Hi Mark,

 >How about modifying the circuit so that it has a trigger input or on
board oscillator?