Re: Hybrid SG/SISG idea? "IGBT-Assist Spark Gap"?

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

No comments?  In case there was any trouble
visualizing this (I doubt it, but...), here's a sketch
done using top-of-the-line schematic-drawing software:
mspaint.exe ;-)

http://silicon-arcana.com/SG-SiSG.jpg

Doubtless this sketch is **WAY** oversimplified!!  It
probably doesn't include a lot of necessary evils
required to place IGBTs in series (may need a TVS per
IGBT, divider to equalize the voltage across the whole
stack, etc.--thoughts?).

In short, the modularity of Terry's SISG is very cool,
but I'm wondering what simplifications one could make
if he/she started out assuming that they were going to
need a LOT of IGBTs, e.g., for use with a 15kV NST or
something bigger.  Ah...if only those 6500V IGBT
bricks were cheaper!! :-)

And again, the ability to adjust the firing voltage by
just varying a spark gap like in a regular SGTC would
sure be neato.

Regards,
Aaron