Re: buying a pole pig

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

and you'll find everything you want to know and then
some ;-)  It's an "old" topic.

$50 for a pig ain't bad.  3.5' tall sounds *real* big,
though.  There are some tall-'n'-slim pigs out there,
though.  I've got a 15kVA unit that's about 3' tall,
but I've also got a 25kVA unit that's scarcely 2'
tall, so you never know.  I'll put in my guess at *at
least* 25kVA, maybe 37.5 or 50.  Let us know! :-)

Hard to dynamically test a pig without some big juice.
 Checking continuity is a good idea, though.  The LV
windings ought to look almost like a short (less than
one ohm), but the high side will probably have a few
kOhms in it.

Also, no matter the kVA rating, if it's less than
7200V I'd leave it alone.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE