Re: Foam toroid?

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Doug

I think I see your point, you are referring to
the stuff that is used for decoration purposes.

I used this once and it worked pretty good,
though not really perfect, but I made it the quick
way and it still came out accectable.
It can be seen here:
http://www.luebke-lands.de/pics/tlconnect.jpg

These are two styrofoam rings glued together.
I had to fill up an engrained writing, which showed
the diameter, with some filler compound and sand
it smooth. I left the rest unouched, though the foam
does not make a too good contact with the amuminium
tape I used, but still enough to not fall off, I joined the
ends of each strip on the inside to give it more strength.
Probably you were better off, if you first pretreat the
foam to achieve a more even surface. After all, my two
rings did not form a perfect toroid, more of an oval
shape across the minor diameter, but there might be other
shapes out there.
For me it worked all right, but keep in mind, that I use
it as fiel shaping toroid on the base feed of a magnifier,
not as a spark output, so maybe I could get away with
a less perfect surface. For a loadig toroid you might have
to even out the surface first as I described below.
Epoxy seems tempting, but I am not sure how epoxy and
the foam might interact

hope this helped

Christoph Bohr