From: <mailto:huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>Scott Hanson
To: <mailto:gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Gerry Reynolds
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 12:45 PM
Subject: SISG: SRSG or VSRSG operation possible?

Gerry -

I had corresponded with Terry a while ago on a similar (but different) topic: With suitable drive electronics, would it not be possible to set up a SISG system so the firing rate was variable, like a variable-speed RSG?

I think one of the most spectacular audio-visual displays that a Tesla coil can provide is a DC system with a variable-speed rotary spark gap. As you slowly crank up the RSG speed, the character of the arcs change, the system goes in and out of minor resonances, and the sound of the coil and the arcs becomes ever-more frantic. Its like a build up to a tremendous crescendo, you are expecting that the system will suddenly explode because it can't possibly process more power.

Now part of this effect may be from the screaming RSG; if this is absent in a SISG system, the A/V effects may not be quite so pronounced, but I'm sure that it would still be more interesting than just a fixed-break-rate system.

The key to the SISG system is its simplicity, to any break-rate control would need to be simple variable speed oscillator, not a microprocessor-controlled system.

I'm waiting for my SISG parts to arrive from DigiKey on Monday or Tuesday, so I should have a fixed-break-rate system running shortly. I'd like to have a plan evolving into a variable-break-rate system ....

Regards,
Scott Hanson