PCB test kits....5KW

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx I talked to Bobby Stevens at the power company maintenance shop. He says it is extremely rare to find a transformer these days with PCBs. The last one they found was 5 years ago. They dump the PCB oil into a burn tank with lots of other used oil and set it on fire.

There are 3 old power line transformers at the scrap yard that the power company trashed. They are all DRY type transformers. The tag on one transformer is marked 110 VAC secondary, 10,000. VAC primary, single phase, 5 KW, the date is 1950. The insulators on top are about 4" tall. The tag on the other transformer says the same thing only difference is its 3KW. The other transformer has NO tag but the physical size is identical to the 3KW transformers. Bobby Stevens said they were cleaning up and found them back in the corner of the building probably been there for 50 years. He figures they are probably good other wise they would not have been saved all these years. They can be bought at the scrap yard but I did not ask, HOW MUCH. I figured they arn't much good being 110 volts 45 amp. What do you all thing???

Gary